Saturday, June 28, 2014

My Costuming Tangent

         But wait, I am getting ahead of myself a bit since many of these parts stories are concurrent.  After May the Fourth at the library I was kind of hooked on the idea that I would be a part of the 501st Legion: Vader's Fist and our local Bloodfin Garrison in Indy.  But to be a part of the national group I would need a costume for myself as well as constructing the droid.  The droid would be able to be in the group but it would be better if I were also :)  
         That was all of the convincing I needed.  I looked up stormtrooper armor and then quickly backtracked when I found that a set of armor costs roughly $1800.  Instead I thought about my favorites in the movies, which all live on Tatooine.  I love jawas, but contrary to popular belief, I am actually too tall for a jawa.  Gramorrean Gaurds are a cool aliens as well (green bacon, they are pigs :), but I am not a sculptor and there are not sites out there that make a superb mask. 

          The Tusken raider on the other hand does have a few people online that make a mask kit and the clothing didn’t look too hard to make.  I found a mask online that someone had started and purchase it on Ebay.  The face and top of the head had been put together and it was perfect, it also came with the robes (which look like a blanket and cloak).  I had to finish the back of the mask so the long fabric strands did not show and covered the back of my head.  I also had to dye my own fabric and cut into strips, dry in the dryer to rough them up, and create real looking leg and arm wraps and shoes.  The only thing I am currently missing is a neck wrap and gloves, which should prove easier than the other parts.  All in all, I am pretty proud of this costume and will be sending in pictures for admittance into the 501st at the end of the summer.
The Head
Me in the costume

No comments:

Post a Comment