Saturday, June 28, 2014

Soldering and Electronics

       I asked my father-in-law if he had a soldering gun a while back knowing I was going to need it for some of my electronics that I got from Astromech.  Most of the electronics that I would purchase through the runs that they produced would need to put together not just plugged in.  I will admit that I have been extremely diligent in checking for pieces that people are getting rid of and very luck y to have found many electronic parts that have already been put together for me.  My father-in-law said that he actually had two soldering guns and that I could have one.  He brought it over and handed me an old looking plastic carrying case.  I opened it and the insides were still shrink wrapped.  When I opened the wrapping I found that the gun was copyrighted May 1973, this soldering gun was older than me! Hilarious.
        A friend of mine knew I had the soldering gun and needed a couple connections soldered in his key fob.  We pulled out the "brand new" gun, which is really heavy for its size, plugged it in and got to work.  It was amazing.  The gun heated up perfectly and the sodler that was included worked perfectly.  He got home and tested the fob and it worked great.  I was amazed, I guess they made products to last back then (even when shrink wrapped in a time capsule for 40 years :)

The gun of the future from the past :)
We both took turns playing with the new toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment