Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Build Day 1

Tonight I started the build of my R2-M5 droid.  I was really excited about getting started on the frame tonight.  I read the instruction booklet while the kiddos took their showers.  The first page suggested that I should sand down all of the aluminum parts in a figure eight pattern and then wash each part with soap and water because they were covered in oil and dirt.
        Sheesh, no building tonight, but that's ok.  It was still very rewarding to get started tonight.  I want to do it by the book.  I sanded down all of the aluminum parts with a figure eight pattern and then sat in the DCH washing, rinsing, and drying each individual part while watching Almost Human and Castle on Hulu+.
        Last night I got another set of parts from one of the Midwest Builder's Club guys on his way to a vacation in Tennessee.  He made me a set of wooden legs and delivered them so I could get started and he could make a few extra bucks for his trip, win/win.  The legs are going to be a lot more work than anything else I'm getting, so I want to get started on those pretty soon.  I have to glue them together, sand them all down, cover them in a hard drying apoxy and then sand them down again before painting them to look like metal.  Long process, but the legs were a bunch cheaper than trying to purchase aluminum ones.  Let's see how well I can finish them off.
        Day 1 is complete and I am off on the true adventure of the build.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment