Thursday, April 10, 2014

Build Day 2

The fun part started today.  My son and I were able to start putting pieces together to create R2-M5.  We started with the COM-8 frame because it was dry and ready to go.  The instructions were superb.  There were detailed drawings of each steps finished product and the parts were described rather well.  There was a bit of a learning curve with hat was going to be the front, the tops and bottoms of pieces and some of the screw holes were countersunk on one side of a piece and others were countersunk on the other side.  All in all, it was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle with instructions.
        The greatest thing about this aluminum frame was that the screws and bolts and hardware all went in easily without too much grit.  Benny was able to screw in a bunch of the bolts and screws as well.  This frame was constructed very well and that made it easy for us to build it.  Benny wanted to watch some Clone Wars while we built, so I brought out one of the iPads and we had that on Netflix.  I think we may need to do that during the whole build.  It seemed appropriate.
 
 

The frame is complete for now.  I have ordered a bunch of resin parts (all of the details and such), I got an email today saying that the domes are shipping, and I have started looking for foot covers.  I suppose the next step is the legs I got.  I'm a bit nervous about starting those.  I know they are going to be a bunch of work and time.  I have to slowly glue them all together to create the thickness for each leg.  Then I have to sand them down, apply an epoxy and sand that after it dries.  Not looking forward to the slow sanding work, patience is not always my forte.  But I suppose that will be next week's project.
         On a side note, I have been invited to participate in the second annual Star Wars Festival at the Fishers Library. The director of the festival found out that I was making an R2 unit and wanted to have me come in with whatever I have completed by that time.  She was very excited to hear that I would come.  I think it will be fun to talk to kids and adults about the project.  This is one of the fun things about building a robot, people want to talk and see it.  May the Fourth be with you.  Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment