Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Let the painting begin.

Yesterday I started my painting on the legs.  After checking with other builders to see if most people painted the legs before or after the detail pieces were attached, it was decided that I should paint the legs all the way to final coat before the detail pieces.  Great, because I didn't have the pieces for the legs yet anyway.
        The first job to tackle was finding the correct paint.  Luckily there have been many people that have made many droids and have a lot more knowledge about how to paint properly than me.  I have had a couple of experiences with spray paint but usually just small objects, nothing of this size where you need to watch for dripping.  This is a scary undertaking for me.  I bought seven cans of spray paint from Lowe's and came home to start.  I bought three cans of gray Rustolium auto primer for the wooden legs and plastic pieces, three cans of white satin Rustolium paint, and a test can of a red for panels later.
         I had seen a very inventive way to hang the legs to paint them from another builder's blog and was able to find materials laying around the garage.  The idea was to hang the legs on a pole because you need all sides painted but not the inside.
Hanging the legs for spraying was genius.
        I went back out to check on my work later that evening and found that paint had exposed every single pock mark, crack, and imperfection.  Oh my, I had a lot of work to redo.  Today I came home and decided to re-Bondo everything that was now extremely visible.  Next step is to resand and repaint with primer.  Then later in the week I can try starting with white coats, three coats of white to be precise.  Wish me luck this time.

Every little crevice came out.

Back at the Bondo state.

No comments:

Post a Comment