Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Well, That's a Droid of Another Color

Sunday when we got back from our cub scout family camping trip I started painting.  I had a bunch of paint too.  I started with Rustoleum Self Etching Primer (249322) and did two coats 15 minutes apart. The worst thing about this project is that sometimes I have to do the single most difficult task, wait.
To paint the panels on the dome.

Using the caps of several cans of paint because the curve of the panels.
I had to get all edges since they will end up showing in the final product.

All the panels done with the coat of primer.
 Monday after school I came straight home and started my color painting.  I wanted a dark undercoat to bring out the top coat of red.  I started with Rustoleum Satin Heritage Red (7760) with one coat and then two top coats of Dupli-Color Anodized Red (MC200) 10 minutes apart.  Then to finish them off I sprayed the pieces with 2 coats of Rustoleum Gloss Crystal Clear (248644). 
All the pie panels from the top of R2's head on the red stage.

All the pieces done.
 I had to do this for three sets of pieces since I did not have the caps or space to spread them all out at once.  This was a 3 hour process, but the results are awesome.
So purdy in the sun.

All of the pieces on the dome (not yet attached).
He is looking like a real droid.

1 comment: